It’s a tricky spot to be in. You need surgery to loose the weigh and regain control of your health, but the surgery can be bumped because you need to loose weight. What a pickle!
Why is it that weight loss surgery patients get within days or weeks of this much anticipated surgery and then get bumped?! Nearly every doctor (seriously – above 95% of doctors surveyed!) “delayed or declined to perform elective surgery in patients with a BMI higher than 38”. (read full article here) Also, why is such a monumental surgery considered elective?!
Many weight loss surgery patients have jumped through countless hoops and waited nearly two years to have this life changing surgery performed. Not everyone is a candidate for bariatric (weight loss) surgery, nor does participating in all the appointments and managing all the steps ensure you become eligible. What many people don’t know is that you don’t just sit around and wait.
Do you qualify?
Here are some things the doctors are looking for:
- First and foremost you need to kick that smoking habit (How? Click here)
- BMI (Body Mass Index) of 40 or more (or a BMI of 35-40 plus a health problem that will improve when you lose weight – i.e. type 2 diabetes, severe mobility problems, sleep apnoea etc)
- If you have a BMI of 50+, weight loss surgery may be the first and best option.
- What have you tried to do to lose the weight?
- Have you gone through weight loss psychological testing
- no untreated personality disorders/psychosis
- non substance dependent
- Are you ready to undergo counseling for physical activity, mental health and nutrition
- Prove a long term commitment for the medical treatment required post surgery
- You may need to reduce your body mass by a designated percentage, pre-surgery – this is an extremely difficult step, but with surgery as motivation, you’ve got this!
You essentially change countless details of your current life, forever. Your lifestyle changes, your awareness of fluids, vitamins and proteins changes, the type and volume of food consumption changes and your whole body changes – weekly. This is a physical and emotional roller coaster that you should go into fully prepared for. Be educated. Great article here.
At Global Health Shift we respect how difficult this process is. We respect all the time, careful thought and effort that goes behind making this decision. We understand your frustration. We are here to help. Don’t wait two years, only to get bumped in the last minute.
From providing you with great doctors to choose from, booking flights and accommodations, recommending doctor approved compression wear, connecting you to support groups, to sharing hidden gems in the city you travel to we are here for your whole journey.
A new lifestyle & a new you is only a phone call or chat away.
Interested in learning more? Look at the weight loss category within this page. Click the ‘let’s talk’ below to chat, or click here and to move in the direction of a new and exciting you!
Have you had your bariatric surgery and just discovered that most of the cosmetic surgery next steps aren’t covered? Have you looked into the cost to do this locally?
We are here to help with that too!
Let’s talk, we can help provide perspective, great alternatives and even get financing options!